In Chechnya, gay men — and those perceived to be gay — are being abducted, beaten, tortured and forced into labour camps. Despite international appeals, the Chechen government callously continues its purge.
But we can help.
Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens are running two events to raise money for organisations working to evacuate vulnerable individuals from Chechnya.
In Books Save Lives, authors donate their royalties to these organisations.
We’re also hosting an online auction from Friday, May 5 to Saturday, May 13 featuring signed paperbacks, author services, and other great prizes for people who love books.
Authors, publishers, and other creatives can find out more and sign up here.
Readers can help by:
- Bidding on items in the online charity auction.
- Buying books by authors donating their royalties.
- Sharing these pages on social media with the hashtag #chechenrainbow.
- Donating directly to one of these four charitable organisations:
- Russian LGBT Network — Organization working directly with LGBT Chechens. Step-by-step instructions for accessing and using the English version of the Russian LGBT Network’s online donation portal.
- ILGA-Europe — organization providing funds to LGBT/humanitarian organizations in the Russian Federation who are helping LGBT Chechens get to safety
- Rainbow Railroad — Canadian organization working with the Russian LGBT Network to get fleeing Chechens to countries where they will be safer.
- American Friends of Rainbow Railroad — A fundraising organization for Rainbow Railroad. U.S. taxpayers who want to deduct a charitable donation from their income taxes can donate here.